Arcanum Easter Egg - Various in Game Character References
Apart from all the influences in mechanics and design, there are some direct references to Fallout in the game.
- A freak show in the city of Tarant displays a brahmin, one of the two-headed cows of the wasteland.
- Quick action by the PC can earn a canine AI follower, Dog, a more powerful successor to Dogmeat.
- An entire segment of the map, the aptly-named Wastes, is littered with ruins of an advanced civilization brought low by an enormous disaster.
- A student of the city of Tulla was sent out to find a water gem and return with it. Compare with the original Fallout's story of the PC being sent out to look for a water chip.
There are also references to real-life.
- Edward Teach provides transportation on his ship. Edward Teach is the real name of Blackbeard, the infamous pirate.
- Gilbert Bates is possibly a parody of the name Bill Gates. This is further supported by the in-game chatter likening the Bates Steam Engine Company as a conglomerate out to conquer as many fields as possible, a common notion shared in real-life with regards to Microsoft.
- Within the game, the first machine gun was invented by a man named Hieronymous Maxim. In real-life, the inventor was Hiram Stevens Maxim.
- The dead body with the camera at the blimp crash site is named after the man who filmed president John F. Kennedy getting shot (Isaac Zapruder).
- The siamese twins' skulls are actually real people who were joined at the hip.
- H.T. Parnells museum in Tarant city is a reference to P.T. Barnum who started off with a small freak show like Parnells.
- The island of Cattan on the map is a reference to an old board game called Settlers of Cattan.
- The insulting gnome by the train station in Tarant says "Now go away before i taunt you again." which is a line from the frenchman in Monty Python's the Holy Grail.
- When the character with very high magical aptitude use "summon monster" spell it will call froth the vorpal bunny. This also refer to the killer rabbit from Monty Python's Holy Grail.
- Madame Toussade who is the gypsy fortune teller in Tarant city is actually the owner of a wax museum in London.
- The Whytechurch Murderer case in Caladon city is a Jack the Ripper reference....the Whitechapel Murderer.
- In the newspapers, there is a story about the man with a submersible named Hunley, CSS Hunley is actually the name of the first submarine, which crashed and killed it's crew as well.
- Doc Roberts,The lawkeeper in Shrouded hill village was the famous western sheriff.
5.9/10 with 17 votes
||Anonymous on 10-27-2005
The game,The hand,The eyes,The computer. Nothing more :D.
Pictures and Videos
None posted yet. Send us yours
and be the first!